The American Dream

Welcome to the American Dream! Home of The Angry American.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm married with one step daughter. We have one dog a Chihuahua/Terrier mix,and we have 2 ferrets. Who have total control of the basement.

Tuesday, September 05, 2006

Is Wal*Mart really the evil empire?


I watching MSNBC this afternoon because they had a report about Walmart on,so I watched it,Then I Googled Walmart and found a blog called wake up Walmart. Low and behold I guess Walmart is the worst creation capitalism has ever created.About a month a was walking through a local Walmart,and some guy who was walking through the store with his wife was literally yelling everything in this damn store is made in China,he continued to do this for several minutes. My wife made me leave,because I was walking over to him to tell him to not shop there if he doesn't like the store, that sounds like common sense to me. I should also mention I doubt this guy had ever been in a Walmart in his life,his shoes I would guess cost more then all the cloths on my back that day,and my boots cost $150.00. So it's obvious he doesn't support capitalism,and believes that the rich are evil. My wife was recently offered a Job working at Walmart,she makes more then what they offered her,but she's considering it since it may be an easier schedule now that she's back in school. Now my wife worked at Target about three years ago,and Walmarts starting pay in almost $2.00 an hour more then Target,and I want you to do some research if you get a chance, twice a week go to Walmart,and walk thru the store,and look at all the employees,then drive over to Target,and do the same thing,do this for six months,then tell me how many employees that work at Target you see that worked there 6 months ago,and do the same with Walmart. I can guarantee that the number will be higher at Walmart. Why? Because Target has a policy that after the employees 90 day probation period is over they are slowly written off the schedule,that way they don't have to pay insurance or give a raise,and they hire a new employee,and do it all over again. They will tell the employee that they are still employed there,but right now they need to give more hours to new employees so they can train them,and this goes on until the employee quits,because they can't make it one 6 hours a week. Now lets talk about Walmarts products. Do they sell cheap crap from China? Of course they do,everyone does. Go to Walmart,and any store you choose,and price we'll say soup ladles, both stores will carry the same ladle,and Walmart's will be maybe a few cents cheaper,but then Walmart will also carry about 2 or 3 other cheap labels that are low quality,and price. While the other store will carry 2 0r 3 that cost more,but are better quality.You don't have to buy the ladle that costs 88 cents, personally I'd rather pay a little more and get one that's better quality, if that means the better quality one Walmart carries or an even more costly on from the other store. Most other stores have very few full time cashier jobs with benefits, Walmart is one of the rare few that does. I also hear all the time about Walmarts "sweatshop products" Are there products made in other country's that don't enforce child labor laws? I don't know for sure,but I'd guess probably yes. Now again go to any other chain store in the country,and tell me they don't. They carry the same exact products that Walmart does,but for some reason people don't beat up on Target, Shopko, Kmart, Sears. If you really want to avoid products that may be made in child labor factory's I suggest you make your own clothing,because that is the only way,and then you better find out where the material is being made,and don't buy any home electronics. Lots of anti-Walmart people continue to push for unions, hey GREAT idea look how much the unions have done for the Airline,and U.S. Automaker industries, they're the example of profitability. Wouldn't it be great if someone who runs a cash register for 30 years would also get a Pension? If you run a cash register or unload pallets of dog food,do you really expect to make enough to feed a family? Walmart does promote from within. (unlike their competition) but if all you ever do is an entry level job,all you will ever receive is entry level pay,you cant expect to make $15 to $20 an hour in a entry level job,and lets face it some people will just never move up in a company,could be they have a bad attitude or they're just morons.My suggestion is if you've worked at Walmart for 5 years,and you feel you should be making more or should have been able to move up,and haven't you should find another job. Maybe you're an incompetent boob,and nobody wants to tell you,and hurt your feelings. I think what this all boils down to is anyone who is #1 at something is a target. Remember the movie Supersize me from a few years ago about how unhealthy McDonald's is.Before this movie came out did people think a hambuger that drips grease was healthy? McDonalds wasn't even the first fast food place to start the larger size products, Wendy's started it about 6 months prior,and still do it,but McDonalds is #1 so let's go after them.Walmart is #1 let's go after them. Disney is the #1 childrens entity let's go after them.I have a better idea if you don't like them don't go there,and shut your fat piehole. If you want to convince yourself that buying the same exact product from another store is somehow a better quality product then the one that is sold at Walmart fine go ahead,and I also have some magic beans for sale if your interested. And if you work at Walmart and don't like it QUIT! It's not skilled labor IT'S AN ENTRY LEVEL JOB,and you can't expect to make $40 to $60 thousand a year pushing a pallet jack. And if you don't want the job someone else will who will do their job,and not complain. Everything in life is a choice don't like Walmart,fine don't shop there,and don't work there,the rest of us will. The Angry American

8 Comments:

Blogger Marie's Two Cents said...

You know, I missed this whole thing also, last week I was going to do a story on what have I missed here? (About Walmart), But I forgot about it, I'm glad you did :-)

Since when did Walmart become the Liberal Punching bag? lol

I have missed this one. I dont know when or why it happened, but I live in Oklahoma City, and we have a gazillion Walmart's!

Walmart creates ALOT of jobs here, so what's the problem?

And as you posted Walmart is paying $2.00 an hour more than Target. Target is a much farther drive for me, if you havent ever been to Oklahoma City, except for downtown we are in the Country. Or as the Liberals put it "The Sticks"

I still go to mom and pop stores of course for other things I need that are closer to me. But for groceries and alot of other things mom and pop dont carry I go to Walmart.

I just dont understand what happened here lol.

As I was reading your blog last time I was here I realized you couldnt have been that Lunatic name stealing other Angry American.

And since you and I think very similar, would you mind if I linked your blog to mine?

6:25 PM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

That would be great if you linked me. I've had this blog for close to a year,and I still can't figure out how to do that. everytime I try it I screw the blog up so bad it takes forever to fix it again. we live in a small farm community,population af about 3000,and I also do a good portion of my shopping here,but there are some things I just have to do in the bigger towns. My personal feelings about why Walmart is being bashed is because the unions want to get their hands on all the money those Walmart employees can give them.

2:17 AM  
Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

I don't know of any Wal-Marts out here in Los Angeles. We do have Target. I quit shopping at Target when they decided to do away with the Salvation Army guy and the Christmas greetings.

1:42 AM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

Target was originally a Minnesota owned company. So we have them all over the place here. I never even heard of Walmart until about the late 80's. Target was started by The Dayton Family They also owned the high scale Daytons store's which were later renamed to Marshall Field's,and are now going to become Macy's stores. And in 2000 the heir to the Dayton fortune Mark Dayton spent $12 million of his own money...no out side financial help to become a Democratic Senator for Minnesota. Now why would someone spend $12 Million of their own money to become a senator unless it's to feed their own ego or rob the tax payers blind

1:09 AM  
Blogger Pennsylvania Independent said...

Here is an interesting website about Wal-Mart.

8:57 PM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

Thanks Pennsylvania Progressive for the feedback,it's one of the sites I used for my post.

2:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to hear some common-sense comments about Wal-Mart. In George Will's column in today's Daily Oklahoman he relates some interesting facts: Wal-mart has almost as many employees (1.3 million) as the US Military has uniformed personnel. A McKinsey company sutdy study concluded that Wal-Mart accounted for 13 percent of the nation's productivity gains in the second half of the 1990s, which probably made Wal-Mart about as important as the Federal Reserve in holding down inflation. By lowering consumer prices, Wal-Mart costs about 50 retail jobs among competitors for every 100 jobs Wal-Mart crreates. Wal-Mart and its effects save shoppers more than $200 billion a yr, dwarfing such gov't. programs as food stamps ($28.6 billion) and the earned-income tax credit ($34.6 billion).
Unions are "yanking on the Democrat party's leash, demanding laws to force Wal-Mart to pay wages and benefits higher than those that already are high enough to attract 77 times more applicants than there were jobs for the latest store it opened in Evergreen Park, Ill., just outside Chicago.
Interesting, I thought.
dqs

11:07 PM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

Thanks for the post dqs

2:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home