The American Dream

Welcome to the American Dream! Home of The Angry American.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm married with one step daughter. We have one dog a Chihuahua/Terrier mix,and we have 2 ferrets. Who have total control of the basement.

Saturday, July 01, 2006

More common sence,and the global warming scare


Well this is the second part to my post on the global warming scare. The first time I ever heard the term global warming was when I was in high school. It was the same time I ever heard the terms acid rain,and heard about the hole in the ozone layer. Now at the time no one cared much about global warming. It was really just more of a theory of what could happen when the planet becomes more populated. No the real scare was acid rain,and the hole in the ozone layer. which we were told were both caused by air polution. We were told that acid rain would become so powerfull that crops would be destroyed,and we would all starve to death. I'm not making this stuff up. This is what was taught about enviromental issues in the 80's.And it was only a short matter of time that if we did'nt do something we were all doomed. Guess what....it never happened. The fish are still alive,and the crops don't have big holes eaten in them from the rain storm last weekend. But the biggest ecological shake up of the 80's was the hole in the ozone layer. So let's talk about how the hole happened. Or so I was taught it happened. O.K. people driving cars,aerosol spray cans,and big industrial plants all put pollution into the air. The polluted air then started to deplete the ozone layer. We were told that one day we would actually destroy the ozone layer,and all the suns ultraviolet light that could get threw the ozone layer,and it would fry the planet like an egg. Well one day I'm watching the news,and low and behold scientists had discovered that there was now a hole in the ozone layer. Not it's gonna happen,but it did happen. I listened to the story,and followed every bit of info I could find about it for years. Now let's move ahead to 1992. My roommate at the time was a college student,and we somehow got onto the subject of the hole in the ozone layer. So I tell him o.k. if there is a hole in the ozone layer why is it somewhere over the antarctic (which is where scientists claimed it was) where there is no population for thousands of miles. Why would'nt it be over someplace with heavy air pollution like. Los Angeles,Chicago,New York,etc..?So he thought about it for a while. And said it's probably because the jet streams carry the pollution to other parts of the world. So I said,o.k. If that's the case the why is the hole in the ozone layer stationary? The earth moves. The jet streams move. The clouds that carry the pollution move. But the hole in the ozone layer moves perfectly at the same speed as the Earth's rotation. So the hole will allways be perfectly over the same spot of the unpopulated antarctic? Come on it's just not believable. Then I said now think about this. The Ozone layer in invisible. So how can they tell if there is a hole in it? So he said well maybe they invented some type of equiptment that can see it. So scientists developed a piece of machinary that can now see things that are'nt visable? And then they discovered that there is a hole in something that can't be seen? Then he started to get mad because I had discredited science with common sence. He said well why would the scientists say it's true if it's not? I said why would'nt they? These people are making a living off of government grants. If the government gave me a check to research the existance of leprechauns for the next 5 years. You'd see something on the news about the "possible" existance of leprechauns.And then I'd giggle like hell when I get another check for another 10 years of research. Well about 5 years later I ran into that old roommate who was still in college,and he brought up our conversation about the hole in the ozone layer. I started laughing because he still was thinking about it 5 years later,and I told him yeah I remember. And he said well one of my college professors told me you're right. The hole in the ozone layer was all b*llsh*t. We actually studied it in class,and he said it was just a scare tactic to get people to start conserving energy,and fuel.(sound familar?) So if you want to belive that driving a car that runs off of french fry oil is somehow better for the inviroment then one that runs off gas. Or you wanna believe that the reason that the Earth is warming is because of car exhaust. (which by the way if that's the caes why don't we all turn on our air conditioners,and open all our doors,and windows.If we all did it we could reverse global warming) Or you want to believe that animal flatulence is warming the planet. Then send me five dollars for my leprechaun reseach. With your financial help we can once again return the leprechaun to it's natural habitat. Until next time. I'm the Angry American

1 Comments:

Blogger The WordSmith from Nantucket said...

These people are making a living off of government grants. If the government gave me a check to research the existance of leprechauns for the next 5 years. You'd see something on the news about the "possible" existance of leprechauns.And then I'd giggle like hell when I get another check for another 10 years of research.

Haha...so sad and so true.

10:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home