The American Dream

Welcome to the American Dream! Home of The Angry American.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm married with one step daughter. We have one dog a Chihuahua/Terrier mix,and we have 2 ferrets. Who have total control of the basement.

Saturday, March 25, 2006

DON"T READ THIS POST IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY ANYTHING!

Today I am going to tackle,and give my opinion on the hottest topic around today it seems...GAY MARRIAGE. So if you are one to get offended by things easily leave now. Also keep in mind that these are my opinions,and I have the right to express them just like anyone else in this country does. Now as a republican I am labled a homophobe before I even state my opinion. And also I know some republicans who think I can't be a republican if I feel the way I do. The biggest question is should marriage be strictly between one man,and one woman? Well I agree with that. However on the other side of the coin there was a time in this country when interacial marriage was illegal in many parts of this country. That time was'nt really all that long ago either. People felt that mixing the races was an abomination to god. (Sound familar) Now I will agree it says in the bible that gay relations are forbiden. Now I'm not a expert on the bible. But the places I find things pertaing to homosexual relations is in Leviticus 20:13 " 'If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads"and Leviticus 18:22 "'Do not lie with a man as one lies with a woman; that is detestable".But do we follow the letter of the law when it comes to the bible? Here's what it says in Leviticus 19:27 " 'Do not cut the hair at the sides of your head or clip off the edges of your beard" Leviticus 19:28 " 'Do not cut your bodies for the dead or put tattoo marks on yourselves. " In Leviticus 11 there are many references to unclean animals that we shold not eat for they are unclean. Including Rabbit,Pig, any animal that lives in the sea that does not have fins or scales Which is a lot of seafood. So my point is if we ignore these other messages in the bible, why are we so adament that we do not allow gay marriage? I mean if your only argument on gay marriage is the bible then it's pretty hypocriticle to not follow the other parts. I've also heard the argumant that gays choose that lifestyle,and if they want to get married they should change there lifestyle. Now I want you to ask yourself a question. Do you know anyone who was a heterosexual who changed there minds,and starting living as a homosexual? I don't. However I have two cousins who are gay,and I knew from the time they were little kids that they were gay. They just never carried themselves as someone who was heterosexual. Maybe that sounds like a bigoted thing to say,but I was right on my estimation. My one cousin is a about 5 years older then me,and I remember as a little kid knowing that he was gay. So when he came out of the closet,and my mom told me I was like yeah no kidding. I have never seen one piece of evidence that homosexuality is something that is chosen. Think about it why would someone CHOOSE to be a social outcast who may have their entire family turn their back on them? Now it may sound like I support Gay marriage. But I do believe that marriage should be between one man,and one woman. However I think it should be left up to each state. Not a state supreme court decision,but a vote by the people of each state. You don't hear about people being arrested for poligamy in Utah,and we all know it's allowed in certain parts of the state. And the poligamists in that state are people who are very religous. So who are we to say that gay marriage is an abomination, and is a sin against god when we allow poligamy? So in closing I will say this. I believe that marriage is a sanctuary between one man,and one woman,but it's not my place to judge anyone. So it should be left up to the people of each state to decide what they want for their community. Not left up two a few lawyers, and judges who can be influenced by outside forces to decide what's best for everyone else. And I also don't think anyone opposed to gay marriage is a hate monger. They are just someone who feels strongly either because of religous or strong personal feelings that marriage is defined by "one man and one woman" To me this is one of those subjects where both sides are right. That's all I have. I'm The Angry American. (now let the hate mail begin)

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

No hate mail. lol

I respect your opinion here. It's very well versed. As far as my opinion on gay marriage goes, when I really sit down and think, on the surface I'm against it.

But you made a reference to interracial marriages and liasons at one point being considered a desecration to the races. That was something born of pure bred ignorance. And you wonder if gay marriages are very different from that situation.

As far as the Bible and hipocrisy goes, they're hand in hand most of the time. Yeah, I know I'll get blasted for this, but I call it like I see it. The Bible has been used to advocate everything from slavery to genocide to God only knows what other true desecrations. Supremacists use the Bible to illustrate how said races that don't look like their own can't get into heaven.

But I'm digressing and even ranting a little. Not necessary.

Great post The Angry American. Well put.

10:52 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was pleased to read your post. I see no hate mail, either. As a "liberal" (ugh, the dirty word), I don't agree with you 100%, but I really appreciate the way you articulate your points. I come from a family that is full of conservatives, especially social conservatives. My entire family is Catholic, so they tend to be firmly against gay marriage and even feel some pretty strong feelings against gay people themselves. Having my own "liberal" points of view, I've had to figure out how to be able to accept my family for who they are. I love them all dearly, and I think when the two sides can articulate their ideas well, we can come to a better understanding of each other. The more we can have conversations like this, the better. I love a good debate, and since my family is conservative, I think I am often drawn to this sort of discussion. I came here searching for blog commentary on Al Gore's new film, and I'm glad I did.

I am about to marry a man who is a member of a different "race." I wouldn't want anyone to tell me whom I can or cannot marry. Therefore, I feel that any consenting couple should be able to marry. We lack love in the world, so I don't understand why we'd want to squelch it anywhere.

Again, thank you for your articulation.

10:12 AM  
Blogger The Angry American said...

Welcome to my corner of the world hleahh. Good to see we can agree to disagree without bashing.

3:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home